Hours of work
Thorpe Park (Leeds)
Cloud Infrastructure Engineer
Thorpe Park, Leeds
Why Work at NGN?
At Northern Gas Networks, we are a community. We provide a supportive and fun working environment in our spacious offices with onsite parking provided. We embrace creativity and innovation as well as offering a range of learning and development opportunities to progress your career.
Since we started operating in 2005, We have led the way as one of the most cost-efficient of the UK's eight gas distribution networks, reliably delivering gas to over 2.7 million homes and businesses.
Our 'dream' is to become the UK's most loved, admired and respected company, and we aim to do this through an empowered team that is 'mind-blowingly great!'
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion:
We value equality, diversity and inclusion at NGN and this is embedded in everything that we do. We will be delighted to hear from a diverse range of applicants, so we can continue to grow our mind-blowingly great team of people.
We are proud to support the Armed Forces Covenant, helping ex-services personnel back into employment, as well as being members of WISE (Women in Science and Engineering) and we are committed to delivering our 'Opportunity Action Plan' having signed the Social Mobility Pledge campaign, whereby we will establish our business as a 'force for good' in the communities that we serve.
If you require adjustments to support in your application, we want to hear about how we can help. Any applicants that require reasonable adjustments throughout the selection process/ further flexibility are able contact us directly to inform us of any additional support that is required.
If you require adjustments made to the standard interview process (e.g. a working interview or a different interview format) then please contact the Recruitment Team:
Northern Gas Networks are looking for a Cloud Infrastructure Engineer who can play a key role within the team to help maximise the cloud technologies being delivered.
Reporting into the Infrastructure Team Lead you will provide support for cloud technologies, project delivery with our internal and external support vendors across a wide range of technologies. Fundamental to the role is the ability to offer exceptional customer service through excellent written, oral, interpersonal and organizational skills.
The role will require incidents and requests to be resolved in an efficient and professional manner and in line with service level agreements. You are responsible for the delivery of cloud services for our network and server environment. The individual should be technically minded, have some experience in architecting and delivering cloud solutions, hybrid environments and migrating from on-premises to the cloud.
Within this role you have the freedom to explore and provide the best solutions for the organisation and in turn develop your technical skills by supporting and configuring some challenging and interesting products and technologies. We will offer you the ability to grow and progress within the company through internal and external training.
The ideal candidate should demonstrate the below personal skills:
- Show an awareness of how businesses are impacted by their IT and prioritise work accordingly
- Works well under pressure and goes the extra mile to provide excellent customer service
- Shows an organised, proactive and analytical approach to all work
- Motivated to learn and develop within the company
- Adaptive and has a positive attitude to challenges and changes
- Demonstrate strong communication skills and ability to empathise with colleagues' issues and build good, professional relationships
- Deal positively with ambiguity and complexity, working through challenges positively to reach a solution
- Take ownership of issues and show initiative in solving them
- Self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook, initiative, and leadership ability
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Provision of quality IT support and project delivery
- Configuration and delivery of cloud infrastructure, 3rd party tools and integration
- Provide technical consultation on current and proposed cloud infrastructure
- Involvement in planning and scoping for highly available cloud solutions
- Support of existing cloud infrastructures to the Service Desk team when required
- Maintenance & creation of required technical documentation
- Adoption of DEV OPS culture, and keeping up to date with the latest cloud offerings in the industry
- Other ad-hoc work as instructed by the Infrastructure Team Lead
- This list is not exhaustive
A minimum of 3 years' experience in an SME IT environment whilst working in an Infrastructure or cloud-based role covering the following:
- Experience of core AWS services - EC2, Storage, IAM, SNS Lambda, Databases, Route53, CloudWatch, CloudTrail
- Experience in deploying infrastructure in code in Cloudformation (JSON or YAML)
- Experience in deploying and maintaining code pipelines
- Ability to understand and maintain the AWS VPC network roles (VPNs, ACLs, NACLs, Peering & Route Tables)
- DevOps - understanding of continuous delivery and continuous integration
- Configuring and maintaining Microsoft & LINUX OS systems
- Configuring and maintaining Linux environments (RedHat Enterprise, CentOS and Ubuntu)
- Experience in identifying the cause of problems (root cause analysis)
- Exposure to infrastructure project delivery
- Understanding of high availability, backup technologies, RTO and RPO
- Good understanding of AWS security best practices
- Participation in an out of hours on-call rota
- Proven and relevant working experience in a busy, SME focused organization
- Work effectively and efficiently with the other IT teams and project services department and third parties
- Experienced in working within a service ticketing system
- You must possess a full UK driving license
- ITIL Practices and understanding of change control
- Knowledge of networking topologies including switching, VLAN's, routing and remote access and various switching layers
- Some understanding of AWS Services such as Elastic Beanstalk, CloudWatch, Elastic Search and RDS
- Any experience with cloud automation - Chef, Puppet, Ansible and Json
- Cisco routers and firewalls
- Qualifications - any one or more of the following or above certifications would be desirable:
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate Level
- AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate Level
- AWS Certified Developer - Associate Level
- ITIL certification
What we Offer You:
- A competitive salary
- Free onsite parking
- 40 hours per week
- 25 days annual leave (plus recognised bank holidays and 2 half days over the Christmas period)
- SSP for first 7 calendar days then occupational sick pay
- A generous stakeholder 5/10 pension scheme
- Flexible benefits and salary sacrifice options... from discounts on a variety of UK attractions, gym membership, restaurant discounts, experience days...and exclusive NGN discounts and much more!
- An array of fantastic family- friendly policies such as 6 weeks' paternity leave (for eligible employees) and 6 months' full pay for employees on maternity leave (for eligible employees), as well as shared parental leave and many more.
Our values are at the heart of what we do. In addition to your key responsibilities, you will incorporate these into the daily life of your role.