Hours of work
Thorpe Park (Leeds)
Mechanical Maintenance Craftsperson
£35,702 per annum
Operation incentive mechanism
Location: Central & West
We will only consider applicants from the following areas:
Why Work at NGN?
At Northern Gas Networks, we are a community. We provide a supportive and fun working environment in our spacious offices with onsite parking provided. We embrace creativity and innovation as well as offering a range of learning and development opportunities to progress your career.
Since we started operating in 2005, We have led the way as one of the most cost-efficient of the UK's eight gas distribution networks, reliably delivering gas to over 2.7 million homes and businesses.
Our 'dream' is to become the UK's most loved, admired and respected company, and we aim to do this through an empowered team that is 'mind-blowingly great!'
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion:
We value equality, diversity and inclusion at NGN and this is embedded in everything that we do. We will be delighted to hear from a diverse range of applicants, so we can continue to grow our mind-blowingly great team of people.
We are proud to support the Armed Forces Covenant, helping ex-services personnel back into employment, as well as being members of WISE (Women in Science and Engineering) and we are committed to delivering our 'Opportunity Action Plan' having signed the Social Mobility Pledge campaign, whereby we will establish our business as a 'force for good' in the communities that we serve.
If you require adjustments to support in your application, we want to hear about how we can help. Any applicants that require reasonable adjustments throughout the selection process/ further flexibility are able contact us directly to inform us of any additional support that is required.
If you require adjustments made to the standard interview process (e.g. a working interview or a different interview format) then please contact the Recruitment Team:
We have an exciting permanent opportunity for a Mechanical Maintenance Craftsperson to join our team.
The purpose of the role is to undertake maintenance, repair and installation activity on NGN's pressure reduction installations and associated assets across the area. The role will also contribute to the design, installation and commissioning of new and replacement assets in collaboration with the Capital Projects team.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Ensure the decommissioning, installation, commissioning, validation, modification and repair work in accordance with appropriate policies, procedures and statutory requirements to produce optimum technical performance and reliability of equipment/systems in compliance with health, safety and environmental best practice
- Prepare reports and provide information, guidance and advice to stakeholders and management and third party customers on technical matters
- Undertake or participate in plant inspection and surveying, design and costing of modifications to the network, prepare technical specifications and estimates
- Maintain accurate records of activities to satisfy Maintenance and Capital Projects, NGN, third party and legislative requirements
- Work towards all permitry requirements and procedures including complex non-routine operations and routine operations affecting the NGN network
- To ensure a high standard of customer and stakeholder service at all times
- Relevant mechanical maintenance or pressure control training City & Guilds or NVQ III
- Fault finding on pressure reduction installations and pre-heating systems
- Repair and replacement of components
- Completion of paperwork/systems for results and readings
- Commissioning of equipment
- Use of IT in the field for work reporting
- Organisation of spares and materials may be required from time to time
- Hazardous area experience
- You will be a self-motivated individual capable of planning your own activities
- Comfortable with lone working out of hours
- Strong problem-solver/ analytical-thinker
- Excellent communication skills
- Proactive attitude; strong team player, whilst also having the ability to work on their own initiative
- Demonstrable operational/ project management experience in a relevant field
- Knowledge of codes of practice, engineering instructions and safety requirements
- Hold a full UK driving licence
- EUSR Gas passport
- SCO 1, 2 and 4
- Demonstable experience on gas distribution systems
- TEM 2,4
- Experience of working on pressure reduction equipment
What we Offer You:
- A competitive, starting salary from £35,702
- Free onsite parking
- 41.25 hours per week
- Operational Incentive Mechanism
- 25 days annual leave (plus recognised bank holidays and 2 half days over the Christmas period)
- SSP for first 7 calendar days then occupational sick pay
- A generous stakeholder 5/10 pension scheme
- Flexible benefits and salary sacrifice options... from discounts on a variety of UK attractions, gym membership, restaurant discounts, experience days...and exclusive NGN discounts and much more!
- An array of fantastic family- friendly policies such as 6 weeks' paternity leave (for eligible employees) and 6 months' full pay for employees on maternity leave (for eligible employees), as well as shared parental leave and many more.
Our values are at the heart of what we do. In addition to your key responsibilities, you will incorporate these into the daily life of your role.