£49,572 – £60,119 (depending on experience)
Hours of work
Thorpe Park (Leeds)
Environment, Health and Safety Manager- Operations
Location: Leeds or Doxford
Salary: Salary range £49,572 - £60,119 (depending on experience)
Up to 10% bonus
£3,900 per annum car/ car allowance
Start Date: ASAP
Please note: A full UK Driving licence is required for this role
Northern Gas Networks reserves the right to close adverts early whereby a high volume of applications are received
Why work at NGN?
We know that right now, finding a rewarding role within an established organisation is not easy to come by. You may have never even thought about working in the gas industry, but did you know we have tonnes to offer?
So, who are we?
We are Northern Gas Networks.
We are a team of underground and overground heroes that keep our 2,700,000 customers in the North of England 'cooking on gas'.
Our network is VAST and measures the same as travelling from our headquarters in Leeds, UK to Sydney, Australia...and then back again!
However, we are not 'just pipes' either!
We care about our people, our communities and our planet.
How about our 'H21' project? This project supports the conversion of the UK gas networks from natural gas to hydrogen. This will reduce carbon emissions in line with the UK commitment to achieve net zero by 2050... Talk about changing the future!
There has literally never been a more exciting time to apply!
The purpose of the role is to lead a small team of EHS Specialists who support NGNs Operations in ensuring a safe working environment at all work sites and associated NGN offices. The EHS Operations team provides support, expert advice, guidance and assistance on Health, Safety and Environmental matters to ensure the business understands and is able to comply with all relevant EH&S legislation, company policies, procedures and the EJH&S management system.
The focus of the team will be to work in partnership with business leaders and managers to develop and embed effective risk controls and support them in embedding safety excellence and positive safety behaviours.
- Lead the EH&S team in supporting the Operational functions
- Ensure NGN colleagues and contractors fully understand and comply with all NGN Environment, Health and Safety policy and procedures, and support NGN managers and colleagues to ensure safety risks are effectively identified and controlled.
- Lead the development and maintenance of effective positive and proactive relationships with all levels of internal customer, ensuring a formal partnership-working approach to better integrate the EH&S team into business operations (e.g. attending monthly area / management meetings)
- Lead NGNs activities to develop positive safety behaviours across all levels of the business, including managing behaviour change programmes and working with the business to embed sustained improvements in safety behaviours.
- Provide advice and guidance on all aspects of EH&S risk management as part of a holistic approach to help the business to plan and deliver work activities safely.
- Lead/facilitate the timely investigation of injuries, incidents and near misses to accurately identify root causes and determine appropriate corrective and/or preventive actions
- Identify areas of improvement and implement solutions/actions to mitigate EH&S risk
- Provide expert Health and Safety advice for example, using awareness of HSE activity or best practice approaches in other Gas Distribution Networks and beyond and communicating what this means for NGN
- Adhere to all applicable statutory and company reporting requirements
- Support in delivering aspects of EH&S training to colleagues and take an active lead in ensuring EH&S communications are effectively disseminated, including briefing EH&S strategy and learnings to colleagues and contractors within Operations
- Provide EH&S support to the innovations team in relation to the development or introduction of new or innovative techniques and materials into NGN, or the appointment new maintenance / construction contract partners.
- Work closely with EH&S colleagues to ensure provision of a holistic EH&S service
- Provide management cover for other EH&S disciplines as required.
- Lead and attend internal and external meetings on behalf of the team
- Support other NGN departments e.g. Operational Training, Legal and Insurance, Procurement and Finance to ensure standards around Health and Safety and Environmental management
- Any other duties that may reasonably be requested by your line manager to support the effective identification and management of health and safety risks within the business
You will be a confident leader, with outstanding communication and stakeholder management skills. You will possess the ability to engage and initiate change, across a wide variety of stakeholders at all business levels. Industry- specific is advantageous however not essential. We are looking for an individual that has the technical background to adapt quickly and hit the ground running.
- Experience of managing a team to provide EH&S business support to stakeholders (desirable- we will consider technically strong applicants with no previous team management experience)
- An understanding of the safety management principles required to safely work with pressure systems, electrical installations, pipelines and civil works/construction activities
- Wide knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and risk control relating to the construction / gas distribution environment.
- Extensive experience in identification of risks and assessment of controls using a range of techniques and approaches in a technical engineering environment
- Experience in accident & incident investigation procedures to identify immediate and underlying causes of accidents.
- Knowledge of the application of behaviour change principles to develop safety behaviours
- Significant experience of working collaboratively with business stakeholders to deliver safety excellence
- Proven experience of supporting businesses to develop safe behaviours and deliver positive cultural change
- Previous experience in establishing and maintaining effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders, enforcing authorities and principal contactors
- Good IT capabilities with competence in the use of Microsoft Office
- Understanding of a regulated company's strategic positioning.
What we Offer:
We believe that our people should be recognised for their contribution. Therefore, we offer the below package:
- A competitive salary of £49,572 - £60,119 per annum (depending on experience)
- Up to 10% bonus
- Car/car allowance £3,900 per annum
- 40 hours per week
- Free onsite parking
- 25 days annual leave (plus recognised bank holidays and 2 half days over the Christmas period)
- SSP for first 7 calendar days then occupational sick pay
- A generous stakeholder 5/10 pension scheme
- Flexible benefits and salary sacrifice options... from discounts on a variety of UK attractions, gym membership, restaurant discounts, experience days...and much more!
- An array of fantastic family- friendly policies such as 6 weeks' paternity leave (for eligible employees) and 6 months' full pay for employees on maternity leave (for eligible employees), as well as shared parental leave and many more!
We are...Trailblazing, Empowered, Community Focused, Intellectually Curious, Heartfelt and most importantly... we are...Happy!
Diversity at NGN:
We value diversity at NGN and this is embedded in everything that we do. We will be delighted to hear from a diverse range of applicants, so we can continue to grow our mind-blowingly great team of people.
We are proud to support the Armed Forces Covenant, helping ex-services personnel back into employment, as well as being members of WISE (Women in Science and Engineering).
Any applicants that require reasonable adjustments or further flexibility are able contact us directly to inform us of any additional support that is required throughout the recruitment process.
FAO Current NGN Colleagues Only:
Please note that any NGN colleague may apply for this vacancy.
It is important to note that;
-You must inform your current line manager of your application, prior to applying.
-You may only apply to this vacancy, should you have been in your current role for a minimum of 12 months
-Please attach your CV to your application- this is a mandatory part of the application process.
- You may also attach a covering letter, outlining your interest in the vacancy (optional).
Interview Date(s): AS early as W/C 19th October
Should you have any queries before you apply, please email NGNCareers@northerngas.co.uk marked FAO the Recruitment Team.
We look forward to receiving your application!
Best of Luck!