Hours of work
Closing date for applications: 19th July 2020
We are looking for applicants in the following postcodes only:
SR1 to SR8, Dh1 to DH9, NE8 to NE11, NE16 to NE17, NE31 to NE40
Why Work at NGN?
At Northern Gas Networks, we are a community. We provide a supportive and fun working environment in our spacious offices with onsite parking provided. We embrace creativity and innovation as well as offering a range of learning and development opportunities to progress your career.
Since we started operating in 2005, We have led the way as one of the most cost-efficient of the UK's eight gas distribution networks, reliably delivering gas to over 2.7 million homes and businesses.
Our 'dream' is to become the UK's most loved, admired and respected company, and we aim to do this through an empowered team that is mind-blowingly great.
Are you looking to progress a career within Northern Gas Networks?
Do you want to lead your own team?
The Team Leader is responsible for repairing, installing or altering gas mains and services in a safe and customer-focused way. You will also respond to emergencies, participate in standby and undertake escape locate and repair activities.
As Team Leader you will look for ways to improve productivity and reduce costs without compromising our exceptionally high standards of safety and customer service.
There may also be opportunities to deputise for a Site Manager on occasions for further development experience.
- To participate in the provision of excavation, pipe laying, jointing, connection, repair, etc. All activities which are necessary to either repair, install or alter gas mains and services.
- Receive instructions and requests, plan and organise resources and make appropriate arrangements to ensure that work is carried out efficiently. This will include the effective coordination of support activities.
- Respond to emergencies, participate in standby and undertake escape locate and repair activities.
- May be required to carry out emergency response activities after appropriate training
- Provide appropriate training, coaching, mentoring, advice, guidance and support to teams/individuals.
- Provide advice, guidance and support for 3rd parties operating on or adjacent to the gas system.
- Assist in gathering information and preparing reports which may include participation in the preparation of technical information.
- Progress ordering, purchase, receipt, inspection, storage, stock control, handling and issue of equipment, goods and materials in accordance with standards and procedures, to meet the needs of NGN.
- Have responsibility for operating and using mobile plant, mechanical lifting handling equipment, tools and other equipment properly and safely, ensuring they are correctly maintained and stored.
- Work within and promote the philosophy of team working and development across all NGN activities to achieve business objectives and improve performance.
- Operate in accordance with safety codes, legal and Company standards, regulations and other Codes.
- Have knowledge of relevant aspects of the New Roads and Street Works Act is necessary.
- Have knowledge of regulations associated with the disposal of waste.
- Need to carry out driving duties as part of their job.
- Be able to effectively communicate with colleagues, customers, members of the public, site managers in order to undertake work.
- Positively engage with customers and have the ability to deal with complaints and ensure that we satisfy our customers and the members of the public.
- Use computerised systems for the updating and accessing of information, the appropriate survey and data collection work.
- Make records/as laid drawings of activities carried out and input to NGN systems as appropriate.
- Have the ability to deputise for the Site Manager as required.
In order to apply for this role, we ask that you meet the minimum criteria:
- Hold a full valid UK driving licence
- Have sound understanding of safety codes
- Knowledge of New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA)
- An already qualified Service Layer
- You are willing to work the variable shift patterns and participate in an out of hours' standby rota
- A competitive salary of £31,830 per annum
- Incentive scheme (additional earnings of up to £3,000 per annum)
- 41.25 hours per week on a variable work pattern including standby
- 25 days holiday per year, plus 8 days bank holiday, plus 2 half days (Christmas Eve and New Years Eve)
- SSP for first 7 calendar days then Occupational sick pay
- A generous stakeholder 5/10 pension scheme
- Flexible benefits and salary sacrifice options... from discounts on a variety of UK attractions, gym membership, restaurant discounts, experience days...and much more!
- An array of fantastic family- friendly policies such as 6 weeks' paternity leave (for eligible employees) and 6 months' full pay for employees on maternity leave (for eligible employees), as well as shared parental leave and many more!
We are looking for people who can demonstrate and live all our values, which are at the heart of everything that we do. We are ...
Trailblazing, Empowered, Community Focused
Intellectually Curious, Heartfelt
And most importantly... Happy!
Diversity at NGN:
We value diversity at NGN and this is embedded in everything that we do. We will be delighted to hear from a diverse range of applicants, so we can continue to grow our outstanding team of people.
We are proud to support the Armed Forces Covenant, helping ex-services personnel back into employment, as well as being members of WISE (Women in Science and Engineering) and supporting the current 'Parent Returner' programme led by CIPD; empowering working parents to succeed and re-enter the workplace.
Any applicants that require reasonable adjustments throughout the selection process/ further flexibility are able contact us directly to inform us of any additional support that is required.
We will be very happy to support and accommodate your requirements wherever we can.
FAO Internal Applicants:
Any NGN Colleague may apply for this vacancy.
Please ensure to attach your CV to your application. This is a mandatory requirement.
You must inform your current line manager of your application, prior to applying
You may only apply to this vacancy, should you have been in your current role for a minimum of 12 months
Should you have any queries before you apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org marking your email FAO The Recruitment Team.
Northern Gas Networks reserves the right to close a vacancy early dependent upon applicant numbers.
We look forward to receiving your application!
Best of luck!