£30,843 per annum
Hours of work
Wear - Sunderland
Team Leader (Gas Operative) - 12 month FTC
Location - Wear (Preferred location Sunderland)
Salary - £30,843 + Bonus + Overtime + Standby
Here at Northern Gas Network we really value our people, we believe that happy staff are productive staff. Our depots have a great community feel, our teams are always warm, friendly and welcoming. These are just some of the reasons that we feel our Team Leader (Gas Operative) roles are such fantastic opportunities.
Not only will you be working for a great company and receiving a good salary, but you'll be joining an experienced team of professionals, a team that work closely, collaboratively, enjoy a great environment and support one another. The role of Team Leader is an essential one, as you will be the first point of call for supporting our team of ORE's, maintenance, repairs and replacements or Gas pipes. Your role really does make a difference to our customers and the public, as you will be responsible for ensuring emergencies and works are managed in a speedily and safe manner. Operating in the industry that we do, safety is paramount and you will make this your first priority as you quickly assess the situation and make the right decisions.
You and your team mate will be responsible for repairing, installing or altering gas mains and services in a safe and customer focussed way. You will also respond to emergencies, participate in standby and undertake escape locate and repair activities.
As Team Leader you will look for ways to improve productivity and reduce costs without compromising our exceptionally high standards of safety and customer service.
There may also be opportunities to deputise for a Site Manager on occasions for further development experience.
Essential qualifications: (Must meet the below criteria / qualifications)
- NCO2 Service Laying (Essential)
- NRSWA units 1, 2 & 3 (Essential)
- Escape, Locate and Repair (Essential)
- SCO 1&2 (Essential)
- Deep Excavation (Desirable)
- To participate in the provision of excavation, pipe laying, jointing, connection, repair, etc. All activities which are necessary to either repair, install or alter gas mains and services.
- Receive instructions and requests, plan and organise resources and make appropriate arrangements to ensure that work is carried out efficiently. This will include the effective coordination of support activities.
- Respond to emergencies, participate in standby and undertake escape locate and repair activities.
- May be required to carry out emergency response activities after appropriate training
- Provide appropriate training, coaching, mentoring, advice, guidance and support to teams/individuals.
- Provide advice, guidance and support for 3rd parties operating on or adjacent to the gas system.
- Assist in gathering information and preparing reports which may include participation in the preparation of technical information.
- Progress ordering, purchase, receipt, inspection, storage, stock control, handling and issue of equipment, goods and materials in accordance with standards and procedures, to meet the needs of NGN.
- Have responsibility for operating and using mobile plant, mechanical lifting handling equipment, tools and other equipment properly and safely, ensuring they are correctly maintained and stored.
- Work within and promote the philosophy of team working and development across all NGN activities to achieve business objectives and improve performance.
Your knowledge, skills and experience
- Operate in accordance with safety codes, legal and Company standards, regulations and other Codes.
- Have knowledge of relevant aspects of the New Roads and Street Works Act is necessary.
- Have knowledge of regulations associated with the disposal of waste.
- Need to carry out driving duties as part of their job.
- Be able to effectively communicate with colleagues, customers, members of the public, site managers in order to undertake work.
- Positively engage with customers and have the ability to deal with complaints and ensure that we satisfy our customers and the members of the public.
- Use computerised systems for the updating and accessing of information, the appropriate survey and data collection work.
- Make records/as laid drawings of activities carried out and input to NGN systems as appropriate.
- Have the ability to deputise for the Site Manager as required.
- Comfortable working shifts and unsocial hours (Regular weekend working)
- Comfortable operating as part of an on-call rota (Regular call outs throughout the night)
- Comfortable working in all weather conditions
- Hold a full valid driving licence
- Knowledge of New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA)
- Have sound understanding of safety codes
If this sounds like the job for you then we want to hear from you!
What we offer:
- £30,843 per annum
- Incentive scheme (additional earnings of up to £3,000 per annum)
- 41.25 hours per week on a variable work pattern including standby
- 25 days holiday per year, plus 8 days bank holiday, plus 2 half days (Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve)
- SSP for first 7 calendar days then Occupational sick pay
- Stakeholder 5/10 pension scheme
- Flexible benefits including salary sacrifice options such as cycle to work, gym membership and many more
- Plus other family friendly policies, maternity/paternity pay, volunteering etc...
Please note that any NGN colleague may apply for this vacancy. However, it is important to note that from December 2018, we have changed our internal recruitment process. Changes are as follows:
- -You must inform your current line manager of your application, prior to applying
- -You may only apply to this vacancy, should you have been in your current role for a minimum of 12 months
- -It is essential that internal applicants attach a covering letter that outlines their interest in the vacancy, as a minimum requirement.
- -It is highly preferable that internal applicants also attach a CV to their application.
We look forward to receiving your application! Should you have any queries before you apply, please email email@example.com marked FAO the Recruitment and Resourcing Manager.
Northern Gas Networks reserves the right to close a vacancy early dependent upon applicant numbers.
Best of Luck!